Local News for Farmingville, Holbrook, Holtsville, Lake Grove, and Lake Ronkonkoma
LAKE RONKONKOMA, NY — James Mancaruso, a member of the Sachem School Board of Education, has resigned after what the district superintendent described on Wednesday night as an “incident” at Sachem High School East in Farmingville. Read more from OnSachem News.
(The Center Square) – New York received a double dose of good economic news over the past two days. Read more from OnSachem News.
BAYPORT, NY — Suffolk County Police Fifth Squad detectives are investigating a motor vehicle crash that killed a man in Bayport on Tuesday. Read more from OnSachem News.
(The Center Square) – New York reached the 70% threshold for COVID-19 vaccines on Tuesday, prompting Gov. Andrew Cuomo to lift many of the emergency orders he initiated more than a year ago. Read more from OnSachem News.
(The Center Square) – A bill that transfers the cost of services for developmentally disabled infants and toddlers from public funds to health insurers now heads to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s desk. Read more from OnSachem News.
LAKE RONKONKOMA, NY — Governor Andrew Cuomo announced on Monday an estimated $2.2 billion in federal food assistance for children in New York State that were unable to access free school meals due to the COVID-19 pandemic during the 2020-21 school year. Locally in the Sachem Central School District, grades 6-12 had hybrid learning between September and March or April, several schools had temporary full-time remote-only learning, students with confirmed or expected virus exposure were quarantined at home, and families opted to have remote-only learning all year. Read more from OnSachem News.
(The Center Square) – The New York Legislature ended its 2021 session early Friday morning on a whimper and not a bang, with some groups frustrated over what lawmakers failed to accomplish in the final days. Read more from OnSachem News.
LAKE RONKONKOMA, NY — The Sachem North Leos Club presents the annual Festival of Trees and Lights, and the event has been designed to be socially distant because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more from OnSachem News.
- New York lags rest of the country in job growth
- Sachem board member resigns, Superintendent cites ‘incident’ at Sachem HS East
- New York sales tax collection posts 2nd straight strong month
- Man killed on Sunrise Highway Service Road in Bayport
- Cuomo ends many of New York's pandemic restrictions as state hits 70% vaccination rate
- New York lawmakers pass bill to require insurers to pay for services for developmentally disabled toddlers, infants
- Cuomo announces $2.2 billion in food assistance for school children in NYS
- New York legislative session ends with finger-pointing over missed opportunities
- Sachem HS North students to hold Car Show & Craft Fair this weekend
- Teen driver safety program and bicycle rodeo in Holtsville