...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EDT FRIDAY...
* WHAT...Southeast winds 10 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt.
* WHERE...Long Island Sound east of Port Jefferson and New
Haven, Peconic and Gardiners Bays, and South Shore Bays from
Jones Inlet through Shinnecock Bay.
* WHEN...Until 6 AM EDT Friday.
* IMPACTS...Conditions will be hazardous to small craft.
Inexperienced mariners, especially those operating smaller
vessels, should avoid navigating in hazardous conditions.
...HIGH RIP CURRENT RISK NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING...
* WHAT...Dangerous rip currents.
* WHERE...Southern Nassau, Southern Queens, Kings (Brooklyn),
Southeast Suffolk and Southwest Suffolk Counties.
* WHEN...Through Friday evening.
* IMPACTS...Life-threatening rip currents are likely for all
people entering the surf zone. Anyone visiting the beaches
should stay out of the surf. Rip currents can sweep even the
best swimmers away from shore into deeper water.
If you enter the surf zone, always have a flotation device with
you and swim near a lifeguard. If caught in a rip current, relax
and float, and do not swim against the current. If able, swim in
a direction following the shoreline. If unable to escape, face
the shore and yell or wave for help.