SCROLL FOR VIDEO BELOW
LAKE RONKONKOMA, NY — The community was devastated to witness a fast-moving fire destroy a nearly 100-year-old historic landmark nearly two weeks ago. Following that fire, OnSachem is pursuing answers to several questions. What sparked the fire, why did it spread so fast, and can the historic sign be saved?
The Nov. 7 early-afternoon fire tore through Newton’s Garage at the corner of Portion Road and Ronkonkoma Avenue in Lake Ronkonkoma. The garage dates back to 1923 as the area grew. Because of the building’s significance, the Town of Brookhaven designated it as a historic landmark. More recently, the business was known as Sam Auto Repair and kept local history alive by displaying the vintage Newton’s Garage sign.
After OnSachem was the first news organization to bring you live video and comprehensive coverage that day, OnSachem is pursuing several follow-ups.
OnSachem reached out to the Town of Brookhaven Fire Marshal about the status of the fire investigation and contacted the Lake Ronkonkoma Historical Society about efforts to save part of the historic landmark.
In this report, Publisher Jim Green brings you the latest.
Morning After the Fire
The sun rose over the corner of Portion Road and Ronkonkoma Avenue this morning, giving morning sunlight to what is left of a Lake Ronkonkoma landmark.
Video Report Shortly After the Fire: Interviews with Residents and the Fire Chief
The community is crushed to see a landmark destroyed by fire today, Thursday, Nov. 7.