Just 24 hours after initially warning Long Islanders on Friday that it could take seven to 10 days to turn the lights back on for everyone, PSEG Long Island now said power outages could last even longer.
“Given the potential intensity of the storm, the damage may be severe and some outages may last up to seven to 10 days; however, if the forecast continues to strengthen and the storm moves farther west, restoration could take up to 14 days,” said Michael Sullivan, senior director of Transmission & Distribution at PSEG-LI, in a written statement at 12:30 p.m. Saturday. “We are prepared for hurricane-force winds and are informing customers to help set expectations about the storm’s potential so that they can also prepare.”
The utility is bracing the public — and getting ahead of the fairly certain backlash from angry customers, lawmakers, and regulators — before Henri causes even a single power failure on Long Island.
The storm comes a year after PSEG-LI faced harsh criticism and investigations following Tropical Storm Isaias, which knocked out power for approximately a third of its 1.1 million customers in August 2020.
In preparation for Henri, PSEG-LI said that as of 8:30 a.m. Saturday "more than 3,300 line workers, tree trimmers, surveyors and other utility personnel from both local and off-Island resources are being procured to work alongside PSEG Long Island’s highly trained line personnel, with efforts to secure additional resources continuing and with the goal of reducing restoration time."
To stay connected with PSEG-LI, the utility shared the following:
- Download the PSEG-LI mobile app to report an outage and receive information on restoration times, crew locations, and more.
- To report and receive status updates via text, text OUT to PSEGLI (773454) or visit www.psegliny.com/outages
- To report an outage or downed wire, call PSEG-LI's 24-hour Electric Service number: 800-490-0075.
- Follow PSEG-LI on Facebook and Twitter to report an outage and for updates before, during, and after the storm.
- View PSEG-LI's outage information at https://mypowermap.psegliny.com